Romancing the Stone: Reverse Stone Setting
2-day Class • All levels of ability
Delicate gems need special treatment and an extra special setting. Many beautiful stones can not be fired in place, so when you wish to overlap the stone with details you add an additional challenge to the design of your piece. My solution is setting the gem from the back. It may sound as if you have to design the whole piece backward, but this is not the case. Not only that, it is so much easier than you could have imagined! We will discuss successful design to enhance the stone, bezel setting, finishing techniques and more.
Materials List: PMC 3 or Low fire Art Clay
• 15 – 25 mm flat stone or faceted stone with a flat table or front surface. Beware of stones having a deep pavilion or back as they may not sit flat on the body. Other fire in place gems are optional.
• Art Clay Oil Paste® (brand specific),
• Fine silver bezel wire the height of the stone
• 400 sandpaper
• 3 M polishing papers, polishing cloth.
• All basic tools needed for class will be available.
(Bring your favorite metal clays tools, textures. polishing rotary wheels, ott light and pliers sets are optional.)
January 28 - 29, 2017